Moving abroad is tricky, emotional and in the best of circumstances it involves a lot of administration. But imagine having to take your first ‘expat-steps’ during the Covid-19 pandemic. This being to the USA – a country well known for its strict visa rules and regulations. To add to the complexity of the matter, imagine having to fly out just 2-days after your daughter is born…
Expat life is amazing and can be a very rewarding step that you take in your life. But as every expat can tell you there are unique challenges around every corner of the journey.
In this episode Corrie and Eduan had the privilege to catch-up with Jacqe Jansen van Vuuren. Jacqe is a South African (and now officially an expat). He is chemical engineer and works in the nuclear energy industry. He is on his way to New Mexico, USA. But currently finds himself sitting in the Bahamas waiting for his visa interview at the consulate later this month.
In this episode you’ll notice that it is only Corrie and Eduan behind the microphones. CJ is on a well-deserved break in Curacao (probably sipping cocktails and playing golf all day).
During the discussion with Jacqe we covered (amongst other things) some of the following:
– Who is he and where does he come from?
– What led him/them to the choice of moving abroad.
– Why the USA?
– What challenges did he face from an administrative and documents point of view? (Visa applications, flights, negative covid tests, interim transfer visas etc…)
– Emotional side of the move. Especially having to temporarily leave his wife and two kids behind.
– Jacqe has been in the Bahamas for +- 2/3 weeks now and is waiting to enter the USA. What has he been up to during the last few weeks in the Bahamas? What are some of the unfamiliar aspects that come to mind?
– How will he approach the next 4 to 6 months. What are some of the interim milestones?
– Any advice for other listeners?
SAFFA INDEX – WEBER briquettes – 8kg (…ja 8kg is baie, maar wie wil 2keer winkel to stap?)
Follow us on:
Facebook: Ons vir jou podcast
Shout outs Music and sound editing: Etienne Swanepoel (from “africa_withet”).
Follow him on Instagram @africa_withet