Welcome to our introduction episode of the brand-new podcast “Ons vir Jou… Wat nou?”
A podcast intended to cover all aspects of life as an Expat. The pros, cons and experiences of living abroad. Whether you have made the international move or are still contemplating over the idea, this is the podcast you want to be tuned into.
1st time speaking into a mic.
This is the first podcast experience for either of us and the idea of recording our conversation and speaking into microphones is a bit different to our casual conversations around the “braai”. Nevertheless, it is fun and we hope to become experts in doing so.
Summary of what this podcast is about and what topics will we cover in future:
– Ons vir Jou… Wat nou? The name of the podcast addresses the ‘who’s, what’s, and why’s’ of life as a South African expat.
– The podcast will be EXTREMELY casual, and we’ll talk about all the goods, bad’s, and the ugly’s of living abroad (in other words the great’s, great’s
and some minor challenges from time to time 😉).
– The main idea is to create an online community of South Africans living abroad and those who still might consider the move across.
– We will cover a wide range of topics and discussion points.
– Just looking at our first season called “Die Groot Trek” where we’ll cover topics ranging from the time that you think you might want to move abroad “ek wil trek”, right through to “waarna verlang ek” once you are settled in your new country. – Based on some of these topics we can already see that there are so many experiences, tips and ideas to touch base on that we feel this podcast will be relevant for a long time to come.
Introducing the hosts:
CJ: 29-year-old chartered accountant from Pretoria. CJ studied at the “Noordwes-Universiteit” (NWU) in Potchefstroom and now lives in Amsterdam where he recently bought his own apartment and is living it up in the Netherlands and Europe as a whole. CJ se Engels is ook baie beter as wat hy homself krediet voor gee. Ps. We are holding thumbs that CJ will tell us all about the “Xholasse-legend” in a future episode.
Corrie: 33-year-old dual citizen a.k.a. triple citizen if one considers his hometown 😉 (South Africa, The Netherlands and Vanderbijlpark). Corrie studied at Potchefstroom and is now pretty much considered a ‘Expat-veteran’, as 2021 marks 10 years of living abroad. He married his Belgium sweetheart, Celine, in 2019. Celine praat meerdere tale, maar volgens Corrie is die mees belangsrikste taal is natuurlik Afrikaans.
Eduan: 32-years-old. Born and raised in Nelspruit. He married way above his league 2016 when he married his Tukkies sweetheart Laverne. Moved to New Zealand in the same year and 2 and half years later transferred through his company to The Netherlands. Die man het rooimiere, want as hy nie braai, blog of podcast nie, hardloop hy asof iets hom jaag.
Last few pointers:
– Choice of LANGUAGE: “Jacaranda taal” … 70/30 English/Afrikaans. This makes the podcast more inclusive and scalable. And as South Africans we
are a very inclusive breed, so the idea of mixing and matching between the two languages should come natural for both us as the hosts and our
awesome future audience.
– COMMUNITY COMMUNITY COMMUNITY – The main idea of this podcast is to create an online Saffa community where we can share notes, funny
experiences and handy tips w.r.t. expat life.
Follow us on:
Facebook: Ons vir jou podcast
Shout outs Music and sound editing: Etienne Swanepoel (from “africa_withet”).
Follow him on Instagram @africa_withet